Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gooey Cake Bars


These started with Paula Dean's recipe for "Gooey Cake." My mom had made it earlier this week and was telling me about it. It sounded so yummy, I decided I had to try. Paula Dean is known for being over the top, sugary sweet. Anyone who makes bread pudding out of Krispy Kremes and sweetened condensed milk is dangerous in my book. But probably also a really good dessert cook! The recipe my mom made had pineapple in it. And when I Googled "Gooey Cake" I found about a hundred different variations on the same theme - chocolate chip, pumpkin, banana, carrot, lemon, pecan. All sounded delicious, but I decided to start with the basic. Next time I'll get more adventurous.

Paula recommends baking these in a 9X13 pan. I used an 8X8 brownie pan instead. I liked how mine came out with a thick crust and were more like cookie bars than cake. Be sure and let them cool completely before cutting into squares. And cut them small...these bad boys are SUPER rich!

Ingredients

Crust

1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 16-ounce box powdered sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Grease a 9x13 pan.
In a large bowl blend the cake mix, egg and melted butter.
Mix well. Pat into the bottom of the 9x13 pan.

Prepare filling:
Using an electric mixer beat the cream cheese until smooth
Add the eggs and vanilla.
Pour in the powdered sugar and beat well.
Slowly add the butter and mix well.
Pour filling over the dough, and spread evenly.
Bake 40-50 minutes. DO NOT over bake. You want the middle to be soft and gooey.
Cool completely before cutting into 24 squares.
(My 8X8 pan made 16)

Get a large glass of cold milk, or cup of hot coffee, and ENJOY!

4 comments:

Joanna said...

I will definitely make these. The ones you passed along to me were delicious! They smell like cake mix and that is one of my favorite flavors.

TDM Wendy said...

i am so going to make these.

The Mumaw's said...

Love these, I make mine with chocolate cake mix!!

Anonymous said...

I have used lemon cake mix for the crust.....delicious!