Thursday, April 23, 2009

Apple Cheddar Chicken

UPDATE: Made this recipe and really liked it! My mom and two girlfriends have both since made it too, and it was a hit for them as well. My only suggestion would be to saute the apples a little before assembling the casserole. They were a little crunchy still when baked as the recipe calls for below. This didn't really bother me - but the kids didn't like the different textures. And I think the sweetness of the apples would come out and meld with the chicken and cheese a bit better if cooked first.

UPDATE #2: Pictures added that include sauteing the apples like I suggested. I think it turned out much better!


This is a recipe my friend Jennifer shared with me. Her exact words were "This sounds kind of strange with the combination of ingredients, but it was soooooo good!"

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts
3 golden apples, peeled and sliced
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 family size can cream of chicken soup
40 (2 packages) Ritz crackers
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place chicken breasts in a 9x13 dish.
Pour cream of chicken soup over them, coating them well.

Place sliced apples on top of the chicken, then sprinkle cheese over the apples.


Crush the Ritz crackers until slightly chunky, and mix with the melted butter.
Sprinkle over the cheese to make a crust.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is done in the middle.
ENJOY!

No comments: