Monday, February 22, 2010

There's an app for that...

For Christmas my ever practical husband gave me an iPhone. Very romantic for our first Christmas together, No? Not soon after, I got many application recommendations. A close friend introduced me to Weber's on the Grill app. It's fantastic. My favorite feature might be the grocery list it makes for you once you choose a recipe.

The most recent recipe I made from the app was Swordfish Kabobs with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli. It was delicious and received high marks from my toughest critic. The recipe makes a lot of aioli, so next time I may prepare just half. I served it with fresh salad and Polenta Frites.

I made the Frites the night before, by just following the polenta recipe on the corn meal box (added some fresh herbs and butter of course), and then placing the mixture in the fridge in a loaf pan overnight. When I was ready to grill the kabobs, I pulled out the polenta, sliced it into rectangles and placed them on cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and Broil about 8 -10 minutes, watching closely! until crispy and golden brown on the outside.





In case you don't choose to purchase the app, I included the recipe for the kabobs here. 

Ingredients
for Aioli
  • 2 red bell peppers 
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • pinch ground cayenne pepper
for Swordfish Marinade
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon prepared chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 2 pounds skinless swordfish fillets, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes



Directions
Grill the bell peppers over direct medium heat until the skin is completely blackened and blistered, 10-12 min.
Transfer the peppers to a paper bag, seal it tightly, and let the peppers cool for 15 min, during which time the skin will loosen.
Remove and discard the skins, stem and seeds.
In a food processor or blender, combine the roasted peppers, garlic, and lemon juice and puree until smooth.
In a small bowl, combine the puree with the mayonnaise, salt and cayenne pepper.
Mix well cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Bring to room temperature before serving. (I made this the night before along with the polenta).
In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, chili powder, and salt. Add the swordfish and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Thread the swordfish onto skewers. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until just opaque, 5-6 min, turning occasionally.

Serve warm with the aioli and ENJOY!

No comments: