Friday, June 4, 2010

Fresh Cherry Pie


I had a ton of fresh cherries left over from a dessert buffet I made for my Aqua & Cherry themed book club night. So fresh Cherry Pie it was. I don't own a cherry pitter. So I used a chopstick. My fingers were stained RED and the cherries were massacred...but I figured they didn't need to look pretty inside the pie! It turned out prettier than I expected and tasted WAY better than canned pie filling!

Ingredients
Pie Crust Dough
4 cups fresh cherries, pitted with stems removed
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
also:
1 Tablespoon each of milk and sugar for the top of the crust

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, gently fold together cherries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla.
Let stand for 15 minutes.


Roll out the two pie crusts (bottom and top) leaving enough overhang to fold and crimp.
(Fold one crust in half and cover with a damp cloth or paper towel so it doesn't dry out!)
Lay second pie crust evenly into a 9" pie pan or ceramic pie dish.

Toss cherries again to make sure fruit is evenly coated with sugar and flour.
Pour mixture into the pie crust and dot with butter pieces.

Unfold the top crust and place over the top of the cherry mixture and crimp edges all around.

You can also use a fork to press the crusts together or make a traditional lattice top.
(I was just too lazy this time around, but I think lattice looks FAB on cherry pies!)

Brush the top of the pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Cut 5-6 small vent holes in the top crust.
(unless it's lattice, then you don't need to!)

Place pie on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes.

You'll know it's done when the top is golden brown and cherries are bubbling up.
Oh yes, and your kitchen will smell divine!

If the edges start to burn or brown faster, you can tent the top of the pie with a piece of foil. Ringing the edges works well too!
My OCD self likes clean cut edges on my pie piece, and I've always found fruit pies cut better if you let them cool completely. But then I just have to heat it up again, cause for me, Cherry Pie is best served warm à la mod. ENJOY!

No comments: