Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry Cookies


These are the cookies I made for my cookie exchange. The morning after the cookie exchange, I also made breakfast for Matt to take to school for the Science Department. So selfishly, I chose these because I could make them for both events! They taste like mini chocolate croissants. I love how the bittersweet chips balance the sweetness of the cream cheese filling.

Today I went to a Birthday Brunch for one of my girlfriends, and I made these again, using white chocolate chips and dried cranberries instead. They were more sweet than the dark chocolate version, but still very yummy!

Ingredients
1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, divided

Directions

Roll 1 puff pastry sheet into 14 x 10-inch rectangle on lightly floured surface.
Combine cream cheese sugar and vanilla in small bowl until smooth. (I used the cuisinart)
Spread half cream cheese mixture over puff pastry, leaving 1-inch border on one long side. Sprinkle with half the chocolate chips.
Roll up starting at long side covered with cream cheese. Seal end by moistening with water.
Wrap in saran and refrigerate 1 hour.

Repeat steps with remaining ingredients.
PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F.
Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
Cut rolls crosswise into 1-inch-thick circles.
Place cut side down on prepared baking sheets.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Once completely cool, drizzle with a glaze of 2 cups powdered sugar mixed with 2 TBSP milk.
ENJOY!

No comments: