Monday, December 1, 2008

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Peppermint is one of the first flavors that comes to my mind when I think of Christmas. I think because of it's color and because of Candy Canes. I love Peppermint ice cream - so much so, it caused me to get my bike stolen in the 7th grade (Libby can attest to the validity of this statement!)....but that's another story! So I decided I wanted to find a Peppermint cookie recipe that I liked. A quick search of the internet resulted in the following cookies from a recipe on FoodNetwork.

The family taste test after dinner last night ended with favorable results. Matt is not a peppermint fan - so he scraped the glaze off and said "The chocolate cookie is great!" MJ loved them so much her eyes rolled back in her head and she sighed. I am assuming MollyB liked them, as she keeps asking for more even now - 6:30AM the following morning. And Munchie, as a result of being fed a tiny bite and wanting more....said COOKIE for the first time!



I think that is evidence enough that these cookies are good! But just to be sure - I thought they were great too. The only thing I will change next time is the glaze. I wont tint it red. Just white. Matt commented that the red looked "pink" and I agreed. And I thought the two colors, plus the candy pieces on top was too much going on. The fact that it was a fabulous chocolate cookie underneath got lost! I thought the cookie tasted a little like a Thin Mint - but more chewy like a brownie. Overall, very yummy!

Ingredients

Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Glaze
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 drops peppermint extract, or more to taste
3 1/2 tsp water
2 large (or 8 small) Candy Canes

Directions

For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a mixer beat together the butter with the sugars until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl.
Add in the vanilla.
On a low speed beat in the flour mixture, a little at a time, until well combined.
Gently mix in chocolate chips.


On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop teaspoons of the batter about 2 inches apart.
Bake until just cracked on top, about 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking time.
Cool completely.

For the glaze:
In a small bowl mix together the sugar; peppermint extract and water until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a medium ziploc bag and snip off the corner.


Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies. Top with crushed Candy Canes.
Let cookies stand until set, about 10 minutes.
ENJOY!

Visit Bringing Up Burns today to meet Aubs and learn her favorite family Christmas tradition!

No comments: