Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tofu Stirfry

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to try a Tofu recipe. The following is what made the cut for my first attempt. I took a bunch of different ones from the internet and came up with this one of my own. The flavors were powerful, but very good. Matt cleaned his plate too, but the kids weren't as impressed. They ended up eating chicken nuggets with their brown rice! Can't win them all, I guess. I love ginger - so I probably added too much for their liking. Next time, I wont add the tofu until the very end. I didn't like how it ended up coated with the brown sauce. I think it would look more appetizing with white tofu!


Ingredients
6 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces firm tofu, well drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 head bok choy, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
2 bunches green onions, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup snow peas, diced
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

Directions
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat.
Add tofu; stir gently until starting to brown around edges, about 4 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer tofu to bowl. 


Add 3 tablespoons oil, grated ginger and garlic to skillet; stir fry 1 minute.
Add bok choy and carrots; stir-fry until crisp- tender, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables, except cilantro, and stir fry another 3 minutes.


Return tofu to skillet; stir to mix.
Stir in rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil; simmer 1 minute.
Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper.


Serve over brown rice.
ENJOY!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Mmmm, I can almost smell it.