Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chicken & Green Chile Casserole


For dinner tonight I started out making Pampering Beki's Green Chile Casserole. But as I was gathering the ingredients, they made me think of a couple other recipes I love.

The first is an appetizer my mom makes called Josephina's. (I'll have to post that recipe next!) They are little toasted pieces of baguette topped with a garlic, mayonnaise, green chiles, and jack cheese mixture, then broiled until bubbly and brown. The are delicious and always disappear like hot cakes!

The second is my White Chicken Enchiladas. Matt's favorite dinner of all time.

So I decided to tweak Beki's recipe a bit and this is what I ended up with:

Ingredients
3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 TBSP minced garlic
large can of diced green chiles
1 bunch of cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1 14 oz brick of jack cheese, grated
8 tortillas

avocado and green onions for garnish

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray the bottom of baking dish with cooking spray. (I used my brownie pan that is 8X10, but you could stretch it to fit a 9X13 if you wanted)
Cut tortillas in fourths, making 24 triangles.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, green chiles, cilantro and salt & pepper.
Place 6 tortilla triangles into the bottom of pan. If you make them so the points face out, they will fill the corners just right!


Spread a layer of chicken mixture over tortillas and top with 1/4 of the jack cheese.
Top cheese with another layer of 6 tortilla triangles.
Continue layering chicken mixture, cheese, and tortillas 3 more times, ending with tortillas.
Top with remaining 1/4 of jack cheese.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and the edges are bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares like lasagna.


Garnish with avocado slices and green onion
Serve with Spanish Rice, beans, or a green salad and ENJOY!

No comments: