Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Overnight Layered Salad

This is something my Mom always took to Summer potlucks when I was a kid. I remember not liking it....but I also remember not being a very adventurous eater. Now I LOVE IT! I am making it for Book Club tomorrow night. It's important to make this a day ahead so that the flavors have a good 12 hours or more to meld. So Yummy!

Ingredients
1 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1 8oz can of sliced water chestnuts
1 10oz package frozen peas

2 cups mayonnaise
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

3 hard boiled eggs
10 sliced of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced

Directions
In a 9X13 glass baking dish, layer shredded lettuce, onion, water chestnuts, and frozen peas - in that order.
In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, sugar, seasoning salt, and garlic powder.
Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over top of peas.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Before serving, uncover and top with crumbled bacon, tomatoes, and sliced hard boiled egg.

ENJOY! (I always go back for seconds...and it makes great leftovers!)

No comments: