Thursday, January 13, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

My girlfriend, Courtney, made this soup for a Glass Slipper Guild meeting. I have had many a bowl of butternut squash soup, so while I knew I would like it, I had no idea I would LOVE it. Not sure what it is about this recipe that makes it stand above all the others I've tried, but it's very good! (I'm thinking maybe it's the honey and fresh ginger...)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash, about 1 1/2 lbs - seeded and quartered
butter, kosher salt & white pepper (for roasting)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg (fresh grated if you have it!)
more kosher salt & white pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place the quartered squash on a half sheet pan and brush with a little butter.
Season with kosher salt and white pepper and roast until the flesh is soft and tender.
About 30 minutes.

Scoop the flesh from the skin into a large pot.
Add the broth, honey and ginger.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat. About 7-8 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Pour mixture into a food processor and puree until smooth.
Return mixture to pot and stir in the heavy cream.
Bring back to a low simmer and add nutmeg, salt & pepper to taste.
ENJOY!

No comments: