Thursday, January 6, 2011

Citrus Jalapeno Herb Rub



This recipe is out of this month's Everyday Food. (I love this publication!) It caught my eye because I love fresh ginger and I had an abundance of oranges from our CSA box this week, so I was happy to use one up for the zest and fresh juice! I used the rub on chicken breasts and served it with orange-mint couscous and salad of romaine, cucumber & rice vinegar. But I think the flavors would also go well on flank steak or even shrimp. I was worried the jalapeno might be too spicy for the kids, but once cooked, it was just really flavorful...not too spicy at all. I will definitely make this again.

Citrus Jalapeno Herb Rub
makes 3/4 cup
~ 32 calories per 2TBSP

3 garlic cloves
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 Tbsp orange zest
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
1 Tbsp olive oil

Put all ingredients, except olive oil, into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Scrape down sides of bowl and add olive oil.
Pulse again until well blended.
Use immediately, or press plastic wrap down onto surface and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
ENJOY!

No comments: