Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Applesauce Muffins


Today is a day off of school for the girls. Parent-Teacher conferences. So since this morning was a little lazier than usual, we made these muffins for breakfast. I adapted the recipe from one I found at "Eat Better America." I left the raisins out, knowing my kids aren't big fans...but I think they would be even better with them in! And, if you didn't have one or the other on hand, you could make them with all white or all whole wheat flour.

Ingredients
2 cups Cheerios cereal
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of raisins (if desired)

Directions
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
Crush Cheerios. (I just did it by hand.)
In a large bowl, stir together cereal, flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
Stir in remaining ingredients just until moistened.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.

ENJOY! (You kitchen will smell Yummers!)

No comments: